Within the Ground Segment and Operations Team and under the direct supervision of the Spacecraft Operations Manager (SOM), the Spacecraft Operations Engineer (SOE) will be part of a team involved in activities related to the development, maintenance and evolution of the Spacecraft and System engineering of PLATiNO-1 mission in Sitael, currently in phase C/D.
The successful candidate will provide operations expertise to one or more platform subsystems and / or payload instrument(s), depending on his or her experience and the overall team needs. He or she shall primarily provide support to the PLATiNO-1 operations, as well as further platform subsystems and / or payload instruments on other missions, depending on the overall Sitael needs.
The SOE will also coordinate with external teams responsible for on-board software management, simulator support, mission control, mission planning, flight dynamics and ground stations.
The SOE will be required to support operations during normal working hours. After PLATiNO-1 launch, however, he or she will be required to support the on-call operations engineer rota, such that safe and efficient operations are ensured by the Spacecraft Operations Team on a 24/7 basis.
The task of the SOE will typically include:
- Under the direct supervision of the SOM, support critically the on-going definition of operational concepts and implement operations engineering processes as part of PLATiNO-1 operations preparation activities (Phase C/D)
- Support the planning and coordinate the execution of SVT campaign, LEOP operations and Commissioning of PLATiNO-1 satellite
- Review space to ground interface specifications and Flight Operations Manuals (FOMs, ICDs, OPS Guides, etc..). In particular, from the relevant FOM derive, develop and validate the Flight Operations Procedures necessary for In Orbit Verification and Routine Operations.
- Investigations into satellite / system anomalies
- Interact with the industrial support teams in Sitael, external partners and contractors during the execution of the activities
- Provide reporting and management support to the SOM, acting as his/her deputy if needed
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, candidates shall have a demonstrated experience in at least two of the following mandatory skills, with a particular emphasis on LEO missions:
- Spacecraft monitor and control in-orbit operations
- Spacecraft operations preparation engineering
- Low Earth Orbit spacecraft design or Assembly Integration and Test activities at system or subsystem level
Furthermore, it would be a distinct advantage for the key person to have:
- 3-5 years' experience operating one or more platform subsystems and / or payload instruments, ideally for LEO missions.
- Experience of specification, testing, validation and operation of satellites and/or satellite ground segment facilities.
- Experience of implementing successful changes in an operational environment.
- Good interpersonal, communication skills (both written and verbal) including demonstrated experience in writing technical documents.
- Familiarity with FOM documents and design of spacecraft operational procedures.
- Familiarity with the ECSS Packet Utilisation Standard, customisation and usage.
Pisa, Mola di Bari, Roma.